Please Note: This information does NOT apply to students from towns that do not have their own high schools and pay tuition for their students to attend area high schools.
For more information visit
The following guidelines and procedures will facilitate the implementation of the program.
Number of students
The number of students accepted within the program of choice will be reviewed and set on an annual basis.
December and January
- Notification of parents and students of opportunity to apply for school choice
On or before March 1
- Applications due to home school
On or before March 5
- “Out” lottery completed if necessary; “Out” approved applications sent to desired schools
On or before March 10
- Families notified if first choice placement approved
On or before March 15
- Lottery completed if needed
On or before March 20
- Families who did not get first choice notified if second choice placement is approved
On or before March 25
- Lottery completed if needed
- Families who did not get second choice notified if third choice placement is approved
- Acceptance of choice due to preferred school
Duration of choice
- Selection for the choice program will take place only once during the school year using a lottery as needed to prioritize acceptances.
- It is understood that if a student is accepted into the choice program, the student will continue to be enrolled at the choice school for the remainder of the high school career. If (s)he makes the decision to no longer participate in the choice program, the only option is to return to his/her school of residence.
- If a student determines that (s)he does not wish to continue in the school choice program for the next school year, (s)he should notify the home school by January 15 or at the earliest possible time.
- Applications for the choice program can be obtained from the student’s home school guidance department or on school web sites.
- Applications will be processed on a student-by-student basis (not by families).
- Once the application has been completed, the application must be returned to the principal of the home school by the March 1 deadline.
- The home school principal (or designee) will confirm the receipt of the application and prepare the materials for the lottery.
- Students may indicate a first, second, and third choice for schools on their applications.
- All applications that are received by the deadline will be included in the choice lottery.
- The school order for the lottery will be randomly determined.
- All applications for a school will be drawn and a ranking will be assigned to each applicant.
- If a student has indicated a 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd choice, applications will be submitted into the lottery for each requested school. If the student is ranked at a level by lottery for acceptance into his/her first choice of schools, (s)he will be removed from the ranked list from his/her second and third choices.
Notification of selection into the choice program
- Once the lottery has been completed, the principal of the student’s home school will notify the family of their selection into the choice program.
- If a student does not make it into the choice program, the family will be notified in writing and will be given his/her ranking from the lottery.
Acceptance of the choice program by the family
- The family will notify the principal, in writing, by April 16, and by January 15 in subsequent years, whether or not the student will be participating in the choice program.
- The principal will notify the choice school of the acceptance or rejection of the choice program.
- If the family does not participate in the choice program, the next student on the list from the lottery list will be notified.
School responsibilities for notification
- The principal will inform the family that they need to
- contact the choice school guidance department to start the enrollment process
- ensure student records are transferred to the choice school
- The principal will inform the principals in choice schools which students will be participating in the program for the upcoming year.
- The home school will notify the choice school of any individual educational plans or eligibility for such plans as IEP, 504, or ELL.